Watch professional wakeboard athlete JB O’Neill rediscover Madinat Jumeirah on the ultimate wakecation as he navigates his way around the waterways on his wakeboard!
In this extraordinary video watch JB O’Neill as he leaps from the family friendly pool of Jumeirah Mina A’Salam into the lagoons, cruises past the palatial Jumeirah Al Qasr and gracefully jumps over bridges in Jumeirah Dar Al Masyaf against the backdrop of Burj Al Arab Jumeirah.
The XDubai athlete says it was the best ‘wakecation’ he’s ever been on!
- Brunch in Jumeirah Mina A’Salam
- Pool day at the family friends Jumeirah Mina A’Salam
- Staycation in Jumeirah Dar Al Masyaf
- Treatment in Talise Spa
- Explore the 2km private beach at Madinat Jumeirah
- Stay like a celebrity in Jumeirah Al Qasr
- The highest drop in the video from the Jumeirah Mina A’Salam Pool to the waterways was 7 meters.
- When JB rides under the bridge of Talise Spa, it was only a 68cm gap between him and the bridge.
- The highest speed JB hit whilst wakeboarding in the waterways was 34km/h.
- Whilst filming total number of jumps completed by the XDubai athlete in the stunt was 30 and the ramp was placed in 5 different locations across Madinat Jumeirah.
- The specially built ramp by XDubai is 1.1 meters tall.
- The stunt was captured by a total of 8 cameras over two days, each camera with it’s own specialty.
- The biggest wakeboarding spin trick in the video is a 540 over the bridge.
5 minutes with JB O’Neill:
How did you get involved in wakeboarding?
It was about 14 years ago on a wakeboard that came with the family boat. Around 2010 I started to take it a bit more seriously and really got involved. Eventually, I started getting into cable park and winch wakeboarding which is my main focus now.
How did this stunt compare to the others you’ve done, was there anything particularly dangerous about this one?
The biggest difference is that we were filming in such a prestigious location where we need to minimize the impact on the guests and the daily operations, this put a bit more pressure on me of course. It was definitely the most beautiful place I have ever ridden, funnily enough it’s like the Resort was actually designed for wakeboarding.
What inspires you?
I would say I kind of draw my inspiration from motocross riders because they really go big on jumps and just send it! Lately I have been watching a motocross rider named Kyle Katsandris who is jumping between highways which is pretty awesome!
How do you build your strength and keep fit?
I am actually pretty lazy in this aspect of the sport, but while I was in Dubai I trained at the Jumeirah Al Qasr buffet!
Have you ever visited Dubai before this?
This was my first time and yeah I was pretty blown away with Dubai. Everything is so nice and the buildings are massive!
How was your experience at Madinat Jumeirah – did you discover anything new during your holiday?
My experience was pretty awesome, I was literally navigating my way through the hotel by abra boats! There’s even Wild Wadi Waterpark™ which I took full advantage of. I discovered some new foods while there and mainly enjoyed just a more luxurious lifestyle.
I’m currently working on another video project back home in Austin, Texas. The video should be pretty crazy so keep your eyes peeled this summer!